The IBIOLI invites its members, families, friends and general public to join us on a family-friendly Dual Activity Day to Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum, and to the National Botanic Gardens, Sunday, July 19th. Choose from ONE or BOTH activities. Both tours are family-friendly events.
To facilitate with our planning, please advise if you plan to join us on the day (give the number of persons in the group), by emailing email@example.com.
Looking forward to meeting you there, Frank McGourty, Hon Secretary, IBIOLI
Activity 1: Guided Historical Tour (1.5 hours) of Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum
Beginning at 11.30am
Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum are both the guardians and storytellers for over 1.5 million people. From the ordinary to the truly extraordinary, these people helped shape the Ireland of today. Share their stories and times with the professional tour guides through tours of the cemetery, and a visit to the museum. The Glasnevin Trust is a not-for-profit organisation and all proceeds are used to sustain and improve their cemeteries to ensure they are places of beauty, interest and intrigue.
For further information see: http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/
- Join us for historical tours though the Glasnevin Cemetery, Ireland's Necropolis
- Explore the Glasnevin Museum, recipient of the Kenneth Hudson Award at the European Museum Awards 2012
- Enjoy the museum's impressive Tower Cafe and the Glasnevin Museum Shop.
- €12 pp at the desk.
- Concession (65+, etc) rates, €8 pp at desk only.
- Family rates (2 adults and 2 children, also available.
- See Web link for onn-line purchases (-15%) - http://shop.glasnevintrust.ie/collections/tickets
Glasnevin Museum is situated beside the National Botanic Gardens and is linked by a pathway. Parking is available on site, and the museum and the tour are wheelchair accessible.
Activity 2: Guided Tour (1.5 hours) of National Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, Dublin 9
Beginning at 2pm
About the National Botanic Gardens
Located just 3 km from Dublin city centre, the National Botanic Gardens are an oasis of calm and beauty. A premier scientific institution, the gardens also contain the National Herbarium and several historic wrought iron glasshouses. The activities and role of the Gardens is a great deal more varied than meets the eye. Our purpose is to explore, understand, conserve, and share the importance of plants. We aim to make the National Botanic Gardens a place where leisure, recreation and education are all compatible for the enjoyment of our visitors.
- Non-members of the Institute of Biology of Ireland: €5 per adult, payable on day at desk.
- Members of the Institute of Biology of Ireland: Free
Car parking facilities are available:
- Hours 1 and 2: €1 per hour; Hours 3 onwards: €2 per hour.
- The tour is wheelchair accessible.
- Enjoy refreshments in the NBG restaurant.