Welcome to the Institute of Biology of Ireland
The professional body for biologists in Ireland!
- Endorses professional competence & maintains a register of professional biologists, including lecturers, biology teachers and researchers
- Awards full members the title of M.I.Biol.I. - a nationally recognised standard.
- Advises the government through representation on statutory bodies
- Communicates and interacts with the public on biological topics
- Supports and sponsors national meetings of biological interest
- A gateway to contacts in Ireland, Europe and internationally
- Has made significant contributions in second and third-level education
- Current members include professional biologists in universities, institutes of technology , schools, government departments, hospitals, semi-state bodies and industry
- As a freshly rejuvenated body we are interested in your views, opinions and directions you think the institute should take so come on in!
Objectives of the Institute are:
- To represent and promote the professional interests of biologists.
- To advise government and the public in general on biological matters having implications for society.
- To ensure professional competence of biologists.
- To facilitate contacts between biologists in Ireland, within the European Union and internationally.
- To promote interest in, and an understanding of biology and its application and implications for modern society through education and research.
- To attract and encourage entrants to the profession of biology.
- To provide support and expertise to biology teachers through an Expert Panel